Insh Church, is situated in a beautiful setting, high up, at the edge of Loch Insh. Although there are no written records in the church, prior to 1838, we know that the church was extensively renovated in 1790.
Around the same time, Thomas Telford designed two Manse houses. One for Insh Church and the other for Rothiemurchus. The manse for Insh church is now Insh Guest House, a new manse for Insh Church having being built at Alvie in 1810.
Insh church was in a state of constant repair from the time of the renovations, and in 1861 an appeal was made to Sir George MacPherson-Grant for help. The appeal stated that the church was in a deplorable condition, and that it was also some distance away from the crofting community in Insh village.
Like most churches of this period, it had a cobbled floor. This was removed, and replaced with a wooden floor sometime around 1910.
One of the most interesting features of the church is the ancient bronze bell. The bell is now supported by wrought-iron doves, which symbolises the flame of the Holy Spirit with the doves of St. Columba.
Picts Alvie Church Farming Wolf of Badenoch Insh Church Steam Railway Ruthven Barracks